By Mapaballo Borotho

- Mpumalanga police insist they still have a strong case against taxi tycoon Joe “Ferrari” Sibanyoni and his co-accused after the matter was struck off the roll due to the prosecutor’s failure to appear in court.
- Police say strong evidence against the suspects remains intact and have dismissed claims that investigating officers were absent during proceedings.
- The court outcome has triggered public frustration, with many questioning the credibility of South Africa’s justice system.
Mpumalanga police have assured the public that they still have a strong case against the four suspects involved in the Kwaggafontein extortion and corruption matter, despite Monday’s court developments.
This comes after the Kwaggafontein Magistrates Court struck the case off the roll after state prosecutor Mkhuseli Ntaba failed to appear in court.
This resulted in taxi tycoon Joe Sibanyoni and his co-accused being released.
Sibanyoni and his co-accused were arrested last week in connection with an extortion case dating back to 2021 and 2022.
Mpumalanga police spokesperson Mavela Masondo said the case against the suspects remains strong despite the latest developments.
“The Organised Crime Investigation was conducted, hence all four suspects were arrested and the case was initially enrolled before the bail application process was initiated. Strong evidence against the suspects in this matter remains intact,” said Masondo.
He also dismissed reports claiming that SAPS investigating officers were absent from court, describing the allegations as false.
Police are continuing engagements with the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) regarding the matter.
Meanwhile, the case being struck off the roll has sparked public outrage, with many South Africans saying they have lost what little trust they still had in the justice system.
Sibanyoni is alleged to be linked to the so-called “Big 5” group, which is believed to operate in criminal activities including drug trafficking and illegal mining in Gauteng.
Although the “Big 5” cartel has not been officially confirmed, some alleged members include Vusimuzi ‘Cat’ Matlala and Katiso Molefe, who have faced allegations linked to crimes including murder and tender fraud.
READ NEXT: NPA takes disciplinary action against the prosecutor arrested for contempt
The post Police insist ‘strong case’ against Joe ‘Ferrari’ Sibanyoni still stands appeared first on KAYA 959.