Ghana has started evacuating its citizens from South Africa following growing concerns over xenophobic attacks targeting foreign nationals.
Ghana arranges evacuation flight for citizens
Ghana’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Samuel Ablakwa, announced that the first group of 300 Ghanaians would leave South Africa on Thursday aboard a special chartered flight.
The flight was scheduled to depart from O.R. Tambo International Airport at 05h00.
Authorities said the Government of Ghana fully funded the evacuation operation and encouraged citizens needing assistance to contact the Ghana High Commission in Pretoria.
Ghana raises concerns over attacks on migrants
The evacuation follows weeks of diplomatic tension between Ghana and South Africa after Ghana raised concerns with the African Union over what it described as repeated xenophobic attacks against African migrants.
Ghana recently called on the AU to formally discuss the violence and explore possible intervention measures.
The concerns intensified after a Ghanaian national featured in a widely circulated video linked to recent xenophobic incidents in South Africa safely returned home.
Ghana’s Coordinating Director for Political and Economic Affairs, Harold Agyeman, said the government remained deeply worried about the attacks targeting foreign nationals.
“The African continent must be a space of unity and mutual respect,” he said.
Agyeman also revealed that Ablakwa had summoned South Africa’s Acting High Commissioner to formally communicate Ghana’s concerns.
Ghana tensions grow as South Africa rejects online claims
In response to the growing diplomatic row, South Africa’s Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, Ronald Lamola, said his government had engaged several African countries, including Ghana, to calm tensions and reassure foreign nationals living in the country.
Lamola said South Africa remained committed to protecting everyone living within its borders.
The Department of International Relations and Cooperation also rejected online claims alleging that Ghanaian and Nigerian nationals had been killed during recent protests and law enforcement operations.
“There is no credible evidence to draw this conclusion at this stage,” the department said.
South Africa urges African cooperation
South Africa said it remained committed to Pan-Africanism, Ubuntu and solidarity, highlighting the support many African nations gave during the anti-apartheid struggle.
Lamola urged African countries to use existing diplomatic structures to address migration-related tensions and develop early warning systems before situations escalate.
The South African government acknowledged that migration pressures, unemployment and frustrations over service delivery continue to fuel tensions between locals and foreign nationals.
According to officials, South Africa hosts an estimated three million migrants, most of whom come from other African countries.
Immigration policy changes under review
The government said it was reviewing immigration policies to better manage migration pressures and strengthen border controls.
Officials pointed to measures such as a points-based visa system, upgrades to the national population register and expanded deportation efforts led by the Border Management Authority.
Despite the tensions, South Africa said it remained open to dialogue with Ghana and other African states.
“South Africa will continue to lead with a Pan-African heart,” Lamola said.
“Our commitment is to solidarity, the rule of law, and the safety of all who reside within our borders.”